Thursday, January 27, 2011

Winter Blues



Look at that face.

Sorry, but I have a sickness that makes me photograph Amaryllis plants. And ferns. And babies' feet (but everyone has that right?) To me Amaryllis plants are one of the best things about January.




I found this play fort on Etsy shop Coolspacesforkids today. The perfect answer to winter doldrums, AND it folds up as easy as a tablecloth would. My kids are going to have the ghetto version as soon as we can get our paws on some cheap Walmart sheets and an hour of sewing time.

8 comments:

Grace said...

That is so fun. Also, I love flowers inside. But for some reason, I've never had an Amaryllis. I think I might need one.

Bobbinoggin said...

pretty pretty amaryllis

Abby said...

Thanks. Yeah. Now is also a good time of year to plant paperwhites/narcissus. Of course we would have to find them first.

Kat said...

I love the "fort". I have to do that sometime soon!

Amy said...

A patient's husband gave me an amaryllis once; he made me mark through it in sharpee and write "AMYrillus". Anyway, it bloomed for a season and then never came back again. For two years it just came up green and then skipped the blossom part. Lame. What gives?

Jason said...

Love the picture! I'm jealous because my amaryllis from last year decided not to bloom this year. So it just went into the garbage this week. I am sad.

Fun idea for the fort!

-Liz

Abby said...

I have to confess that I am not a great gardener, but this is what little I know about amaryllis. I read in an old issue of Real SImple (?) that they usually don't come back. I thought that was strange, since I usually go out of my way to keep them every year. (My brand new bulb came up no prob, but I just decided to throw my old one away after no bloom.) This Amaryllis website says they do, unless you keep them with apples.

http://www.amaryllis.com/pac.htm

eightmom8 said...

I love that your amaryllis has moss around it!